Opened 7 years ago

Closed 6 years ago

#6303 closed defect (fixed)

Drascula: Update 14.ALD md5sum for French and Italian.

Reported by: SF/apoleon Owned by: bluegr
Priority: normal Component: Engine: Drascula
Keywords: detection Cc:
Game: Drascula

Description

The md5sums of 14.ALD for the French and Italian version of Drascula in detection.cpp are outdated. I have tried to repack the arj archives and to remove the windows binaries, so that there is one subdirectory per version with all the necessary files. This works fine for all versions but the French and Italian one.

The French version expects the file 14.ALD from drascula-international-1.0.zip, the Italian one something totally different. The expected file, 14.ALD, for the Italian version is neither present in the international package version 1.0 nor 1.1.

I suggest to update the check in detection.cpp and to check for the same files in the latest version of Drascula's international package. I'm attaching a patch with an updated md5sum for drascula-international-1.1.zip.

Ticket imported from: #3612236. Ticket imported from: bugs/6303.

Attachments (1)

Update-14.ALD-md5sum-for-French-and-Italian.patch (1.0 KB ) - added by SF/apoleon 7 years ago.

Download all attachments as: .zip

Change History (13)

comment:1 by criezy, 7 years ago

I believe the md5 for 14.ALD are for the original versions. The Italian version in drascula-international-1.0.zip had already been improved by the team. Improvements to the French version were done more recently and are only in the drascula-international-1.1.zip file, which is why the files from the older archive match the md5.

Rather than replace the md5 from the original 14.ALD we could keep them and add those for the improved versions. But I have to ask why? This is only needed to play the game if the files are unpacked and I don't really see a reason anybody might want to do that.

comment:2 by SF/apoleon, 7 years ago

Thank you for your reply. The main reason for my request is Debian bug #706343 because i'm the maintainer of Drascula for Debian. http://bugs.debian.org/706343

I don't agree with the bug reporter that Drascula violates Debian's Free Software Guidelines but i think he made a valid point that we can remove superfluous windows binaries by removing them from the arj compressed Packet.0xx files.

If i remove all these files and recompress the source tarball with xz compression, i can save ~15% disk space and also optimize the bandwidth. Most of all it trims the package down to those components which are really necessary. You are advertising this feature, too. http://wiki.scummvm.org/index.php/Datafiles

So if you added my patch, i'd be really grateful but if you decide to add the md5sums to the existing ones, that would be fine, too. I also think that ScummVM users benefit in general from this improvement suggestion because now they are really free to repack the game and ScummVM would recognize the latest international release of Drascula for French and Italian.

There has also been a similar request in the past, but it seems nobody filed a bug report for it.

http://forums.scummvm.org/viewtopic.php?t=6264&highlight=ald

Thank you for considering this suggestion.

comment:3 by bluegr, 7 years ago

IMHO, the best way to address this would be to add MD5 checksum for the packed files, not their contents. As in, you should remove the offending executable files, and provide us with the MD5 checksums of the resulting AJR packed files themselves

comment:4 by SF/apoleon, 7 years ago

I can't see why this solution would be better than my suggestion to simply add two new md5 checksums for the 14.ALD files. Your suggestion implies adding five new MD5 checksums for each Packet.00x archive, the resulting source package would also be larger because arj compression isn't as efficient as xz compression.

However if this is the official stance of the ScummVM team and the final solution, please let me know and i provide you with the requested MD5 checksums.

comment:5 by SF/apoleon, 7 years ago

Here are the MD5 checksums for the new arj compressed Packet.00x files without superfluous windows binaries.

Name MD5 checksum size

Packet.001: 5c4432a7f9352260143c53e925745181 , 31909218
PACKET.002: fa6d0ad818c3740802f948b9d58b292e , 109989
PACKET.003: 91810ba140e13068309877e96870b97d , 109614
PACKET.004: cec3d3654873e2f6f024ac31eec02a12, 16480118
PACKET.005: 3d303929f35059924cccbd72bea75ce8, 15491442

A fix for the missing md5 checksums of the 14.ALD files would still be great.

comment:6 by bluegr, 7 years ago

I've reordered the detection entries and added the entries for the updated French / Italian versions. I've also added all the Debian repacked versions.

These have all been added in commits 2dce716, d2a97bc, f0071c6 and d06a654 (master) and 3c674d0, cf7d1a7, 23ebd2f and 901d1a6 (branch 1.6).

The added detection entries will be available in the next daily builds.

Please test that all is working as it should, so that this bug can be closed. Thanks

Setting to pending

comment:7 by bluegr, 7 years ago

Owner: set to bluegr
Status: newpending

comment:8 by fuzzie, 7 years ago

Status: pendingnew

comment:9 by fuzzie, 7 years ago

Reopening, since we might revert these commits (see mailing list).

comment:10 by SF/apoleon, 7 years ago

I have tried the latest nightly build for Debian and i can confirm everything works as intended. Thanks!

comment:11 by bluegr, 6 years ago

Resolution: fixed
Status: newclosed

comment:12 by bluegr, 6 years ago

Great :) Closing again as fixed

Note: See TracTickets for help on using tickets.