GUI: Improve handling of 'Filter Graphics' option activation/deactivation.
|Reported by:||macca8||Owned by:|
The 'Graphics Filter' option is exclusively for use with the OpenGL graphics mode, and currently relies on a simple Hide/Reveal strategy to control its availability.
While this method continues to work, changes to the GUI's dynamics (since the filter was added with https://github.com/scummvm/scummvm/pull/847) have rendered it inefficient, buggy and generally non intuitive to the user.
Rather than post a bug report, I believe the best course of action is to tweak the design to a more efficient and intuitive method.
I recommend the following changes to control the Filter's availability:
- set the Filter's default state as visible and inactive (greyed out).
- add a reference to OpenGL to the Filter's tooltip (to confirm its use with OpenGL only).
- activate/deactivate the Filter when the user selects/deselects OpenGL mode, without needing to apply the change (basically the same type of effect as selecting/deselecting a Global Override option in a Game Options tab).
These changes address these anomalies within the current method:
- the user is now instantly aware of the Filter's existence and its trigger (currently the user must exit to the Launcher after enabling OpenGL to reveal the Filter).
- avoids an issue where the Apply button doesn't reveal the Filter.
- avoids an issue where the Filter remains visible after disabling OpenGL.
- avoids an issue where the user can continue to interact with the Filter after disabling OpenGL (though the effect is limited to changing values in the Config File).
- avoids an issue where a tooltip displays while the Filter is hidden.
I don't know if there are any technical limitations here, but I hope someone considers this a worthwhile fix, and is willing to take it on.