Opened 3 years ago

Closed 3 years ago

Last modified 3 years ago

#9775 closed defect (fixed)

SCI: PHANT1: Incorrect accentuated characters rendering in about screen

Reported by: bgK Owned by: csnover
Priority: normal Component: Engine: SCI
Keywords: sci32 Cc:
Game: Phantasmagoria 1

Description

ScummVM: 23abcffbc5bc2f3e74d4725af1d292db0421054b
Game: Phantasmagoria Dos French

In the French version of Phantasmagoria, the accuentuated characters don't render correctly in the about screen accessible from the main menu.

See the attached screenshots for a ScummVM vs DosBox comparison.

In ScummVM, the console outputs the following warnings (one line per missing character, it would seem):

WARNING: font.2308 is missing glyph 233!
WARNING: font.2308 is missing glyph 249!
WARNING: font.2308 is missing glyph 232!
WARNING: font.2308 is missing glyph 234!

Attachments (2)

Capture d'écran de 2017-05-08 12-33-31.png (94.0 KB ) - added by bgK 3 years ago.
DosBox
Capture d'écran de 2017-05-08 12-34-51.png (91.0 KB ) - added by bgK 3 years ago.
ScummVM

Download all attachments as: .zip

Change History (6)

comment:1 by m-kiewitz, 3 years ago

Something similar happens in the Japanese version of Phantasmagoria 2

comment:2 by csnover, 3 years ago

Owner: set to csnover
Resolution: fixed
Status: newclosed

When investigating this bug with bgK, we discovered that the PDOCO.TXT file on CD 1 of the French release works correctly, but the PDOCO.TXT file on the other CDs is using the wrong text encoding (and, in one case, is missing an entire section). The game’s original installer copied PDOCO.TXT to the hard drive from CD 1, so the bad copies on the other CDs were never used by the original game.

I have updated the datafiles instructions with guidance to copy only the PDOCO.TXT file from CD 1, which fixes this bug.

comment:3 by bluegr, 3 years ago

In this case, it would be better to add the checksum of the correct PDOCO.TXT file to the detector, so that users will know that they have copied the correct file

comment:4 by m-kiewitz, 3 years ago

Then people will submit the game detection over and over, because it will be seen as an unknown game.

Imo we should blacklist that one file. Check for it for Phantasmagoria 1 and if it's found, show text to the user, that it's a broken file.

Note: See TracTickets for help on using tickets.