Opened 14 years ago
Closed 13 years ago
Last modified 5 years ago
#9043 closed patch (fixed)
ScummVM logo with capital S
|Reported by:||criezy||Owned by:||jvprat|
I reworked the scummvVM logo to capitalize the initial S starting from the svg file in SVN. I also split 'S' and 'cumm' on two different layers for the content, contour and shadow. This should make it easier to reshape the S in the future if needed, but as a result the left boundary of the c might also be slightly different than in the current logo.
Note: the content of the logo is actually a bitmap and I had to rescale the S part. I tried to use a high quality algorithm to do this but I am not perfectly happy with the result.
Ticket imported from: #2819296. Ticket imported from: patches/1148.
Change History (13)
comment:1 by , 14 years ago
comment:2 by , 14 years ago
Thank you for the submission. I am open to the idea of making the S big. However, I don't like this attempt at it (no offense intended!), as I feel the new S doesn't fit in. For example, it is too thick, it looks like a small "s" that was scaled up, not like a proper capital letter from the same font as the others. I mean, just compare the "S" to the "V" and "M" and the difference are obvious. The width of the inner part of the "S" ranges from 17 to 27; for the V and M it ranges from 10 to 17.
A correctly looking S unfortunately cannot be obtained by simply scaling up; the shape needs to be redrawn, I think. Maybe we can ask the original creator of the logo for an updated version.
comment:3 by , 14 years ago
Indeed I scaled the S and reshaped the contour to make it thinner. But while this is not too complicated on the outer part, reshaping the inner part of the coutour means that the content needs also to be reshaped, and as part of it is a bitmap that's not really doable.
To get a proper big S I think we should not restart from the existing small s but redo it from scratch. But for that we need to know which font was used and what method was used to generate the content bitmap. And for that I think you are right and the best thing to do is probably to ask the creator of the logo. And if he has not time to do it himself I am willing to work on that if he can provide the information needed.
by , 14 years ago
|Attachment:||Scumm billy bold.png added|
Scumm in Billy Bold font
comment:4 by , 14 years ago
I might have found the font used to write the scumm part of the logo (Billy Bold, see attached image). The VM part apparently uses another font (it looks much thicker with the Billy Bold font than it does on the logo). Starting from there I made a second attempt to the logo. Before I put more work on it, can you let me know if this looks better to you?
Here is the link for this second try: https://vstuff.virginmedia.com/n/50-17/share/LNK51414a59ce8adb414/
comment:5 by , 14 years ago
Looks much better. Though S has to be put several pixels down, as it looks 'jumped.'
Did you try http://www.myfonts.com/WhatTheFont/ ?
Also speaking about the rule how that green thing originally was generated. If you take a look at our website, where the logo comes from, you will see, that it is a shifted up-left letters, blurred with added some noise to it.
comment:6 by , 14 years ago
I think we should first attempt to contact the original logo author before investing more works into guessing games.
I am going to search my records for contact data.
comment:7 by , 14 years ago
To answer sev questions, yes I did use http://www.myfonts.com/WhatTheFont/ to try to find the font used for the scummVM logo. It was that site that suggested Billy Bold among other fonts.
comment:8 by , 14 years ago
Just as a brief update: We successfully contacted Jean Marc, the original author of the logo; he made a nice version of the logo with capital S. We are now waiting for revised SVG files and a revised logo based on this.
comment:9 by , 14 years ago
comment:10 by , 14 years ago
Jordi is working on this right now, I think.
comment:11 by , 13 years ago
|Status:||new → closed|
comment:12 by , 5 years ago
Sorry, I forgot to embedded the bitmap in the first file I attached. But sourceforge doesn't let me attach files bigger than 256ko and now with the embedded bitmap, even compressed with zip or gzip, the files is slightly bigger than that. You can get the files there: https://vstuff.virginmedia.com/n/50-17/share/LNK18564a567ecf6d0d4/
Also, I noticed that the license in the meta data in the original logo file is set to proprietary. This is what I set in the new file but maybe something else should be used (e.g. a flavour of Creative Common, Public Domain or maybe GPL, although I am not sure it is applicable to pictures).