Opened 12 years ago

Closed 12 years ago

Last modified 7 months ago

#8647 closed patch (wontfix)

Game title translation

Reported by: jvprat Owned by: sev-
Priority: normal Component: --Other--
Keywords: Cc:
Game:

Description

The attached patch adds very simple support for alternative (translated) game titles. It's just used when adding a newly detected game to the list (i.e. in the user interface). If the game language isn't detected, the common name (current one) is used.

Please let me know if you prefer another approach, or any change I should do to it.

Ticket imported from: #1706252. Ticket imported from: patches/752.

Attachments (2)

title_translation.diff (1.7 KB) - added by jvprat 12 years ago.
Support for translated game titles
translation_example_agos.diff (1.3 KB) - added by jvprat 12 years ago.
Example title translation in AGOS engine

Download all attachments as: .zip

Change History (10)

Changed 12 years ago by jvprat

Attachment: title_translation.diff added

Support for translated game titles

Changed 12 years ago by jvprat

Example title translation in AGOS engine

comment:1 Changed 12 years ago by jvprat

This patch is an example of how it could be used in the engines. The example is based on the AGOS engine. (The used translations are the ones I could find in Mobygames).

File Added: translation_example_agos.diff

comment:2 Changed 12 years ago by sev-

Sounds interesting, but there are couple problems with it.

1. It adds non-ASCII characters to source code, which could have all problems, i.e. upper half characters should be presented in hexadecimal form
2. It assumes that current Latin1 font is used. What about, say, Cyrillic? How to render those?

comment:3 Changed 12 years ago by fingolfin

I am not really in favor of this patch; in fact we recently removed some existing code which did a similiar thing in one of our engines (was it CiNE?).

comment:4 Changed 12 years ago by jvprat

Of course I didn't look at the encoding issues. I just used latin-1 because I saw utf-8 wasn't shown properly.

This, together with the request for gui translation would require extra work in the font rendering code. I would bet for doing everything in utf-8, because it's backward compatible with ascii, and one font would be enough for all languages.

I think that the issue of non-ascii characters in the source code should be resolved in a common way with the language description list (util.cpp), which currently uses the hexadecimal encoding. Anyway, what's so wrong about having non-ascii characters in the source code?

Another way to solve it would be to use an external file that just included the data for the title translations, but I think it would be too much work for such a simple feature.

comment:5 Changed 12 years ago by fingolfin

Non-ASCII characters in any text file lead to compatibility problems, and will eventually yield *garbled* text. Portable C/C++ source code *must* be pure ASCII, too.

Anyway, I don't consider this feature desirable, even though it's "simple", regardless of the encoding issues etc. *Maybe* if one day we somehow have full UTF-8 support, and a fully localizable GUI, I'll reconsider this, but right now, it seems like a feature which adds little, but causes lots of potential problems (encoding problems, incosistent bug reports caused by users not being able to properly identify their games), i.e. a bad bargain.

comment:6 Changed 12 years ago by sev-

Owner: set to sev-
Resolution: wontfix
Status: newclosed

comment:7 Changed 12 years ago by sev-

Yes, I agree with disadvantages. Sorry, Jordi, but rejecting your patch now.

comment:8 Changed 7 months ago by digitall

Component: --Other--
Note: See TracTickets for help on using tickets.