Opened 10 years ago

Closed 10 years ago

Last modified 12 months ago

#7712 closed enhancement (worksforme)

DW2: 'unknown' English version

Reported by: (none) Owned by:
Priority: normal Component: Engine: Tinsel
Keywords: Cc:
Game: Discworld II

Description

media: unspecified English edition (the CDs are in paper sleeve)

scummvm identifies as:
ID: dw2-it
Name: Discworld 2: Missing Presumed ...!? (CD/DOS/Italian)

debug output after adding the game:

The game in 'F:\DW2\' seems to be unknown.
Please, report the following data to the ScummVM team along with name
of the game you tried to add and its version/language/etc.:
"italian.txt", "d443249f8b55489b5888c227b9096f4e", 246495
"spanish.txt", "bc6e147c5f542db228ac577357e4d897", 230323
"english.txt", "b4613aa0b4cafa754343ea6fc070f2d6", 234707
"english.smp", "009de30f6510e545ad69c8bcb088e713", 235378748
"dw2.scn", "c6d15ce9720a9d8fef06e6582dcf3f34", 103593

Because of the text on the CDs read 'English' and the file 'english.smp' I think so this is an English version but scummvm handles as Italian.
When I tried to change the language to 'English', 'English (GB)' and 'English (US)' I get Italian text and English voices only

I played a bit and it looks fine besides I don't speak (read) Italian..

The only additional info I have the IDs on the CDs:
MEG256T002-0016-0001-09 (CD1)
MEG256T002-0016-0001-10 (CD2)

Ticket imported from: #2816881. Ticket imported from: feature-requests/528.

Change History (10)

comment:1 by jvprat, 10 years ago

Component: Engine: SCUMM
Owner: set to dreammaster

comment:2 by fingolfin, 10 years ago

This looks like a multilingual release: Italian, spanish and english. The voices are in english only, as in almost all mutlilingual releases.

comment:3 by fingolfin, 10 years ago

Summary: Discworld 2 'unknown' English versionDW2: 'unknown' English version

comment:4 by dreammaster, 10 years ago

I concur - the MD5/filesizes matches the existing entry for 'Italian/Spanish Discworld 2' in the detection.cpp file. I'm not sure why it's producing a debug output saying it's an unknown version, particularly since your notes intimate that it does detect the game anyway.. did you properly rename the files to *1.* and *2.* as per the README?

If not, a possible cause is that there's code that I added a while back that should detect the appropriate files without the name change (such as if you try and detect the CD directly). It's possible, if so in your case, that the code doesn't work completely for the international releases. Unfortunately, I only have the English (GB) release, so I can't do much in the way of testing.

comment:5 by (none), 10 years ago

I copied the files from the CDs according to the 'Datafiles' wiki page and now scummvm identifies it as 'English (GB)'. The text and voice are in English.

It seems playing directly from the CDs disturbs the language settings.

The current svn version was used: 0.14.0svn42209 (Jul 7 2009)

comment:6 by dreammaster, 10 years ago

Ah.. so it could be considered a deficiency with the code in the fallback detector. This can probably be considered a non-critical issue, since the main detection works properly (and files would eventually need to be renamed for the game to be completable anyway). At some stage, though, it may be worthwhile resolving the issue for this particular version.

comment:7 by dreammaster, 10 years ago

Owner: dreammaster removed

comment:8 by (none), 10 years ago

In the meantime I played through DW2 with ScummVM 1.0 and everything was ok so this bug report is outdated.

comment:9 by (none), 10 years ago

Resolution: worksforme
Status: newclosed

comment:10 by digitall, 12 months ago

Component: Engine: Tinsel
Game: Discworld II
Note: See TracTickets for help on using tickets.