Opened 18 years ago
Closed 18 years ago
Last modified 5 years ago
#7411 closed feature request (fixed)
QUEEN: Detecting demo and using proper name
|Reported by:||SF/clemty||Owned by:||joostp|
|Cc:||Game:||Flight of the Amazon Queen|
I installed the Sam n Max interactive WIP demo and in the launcher it got added as:
Sam & Max (Interactiv...emo) (English (US)/DOS)
I also installed the FOTAQ interactive interview and it got added as simply:
Flight of the Amazon Queen
that's some kind of inconsistency ... not important, but I think it's not too hard to fix (there has to be code to identify the version to use the right .tbl for FOTAQ already...)
(and yeah, I know it's possible to manually rename entries)
Ticket imported from: #1154562. Ticket imported from: feature-requests/227.
Change History (11)
comment:1 by , 18 years ago
|Priority:||normal → low|
comment:2 by , 18 years ago
comment:3 by , 18 years ago
|Summary:||ScummVM: detecting game names → QUEEN: Detecting demo and using proper name|
comment:4 by , 18 years ago
Dunno whether any QUEEN team members want to look into this?
comment:5 by , 18 years ago
comment:6 by , 18 years ago
Since the name of the datafile is the same across all versions, determining the version is done inside the engine during runtime. The only clean (that is, without actually opening the file) way you can do this at detection time would be looking at the filesize. When you take into consideration the fact that you can easily 'rebuild' those demos to use <your favourite compression here>, it gets impossible to detect it without actually opening the file. (Unless you want to classify everything under a certain size as a demo, which is a bit rough and wouldn't allow you to detect the 'interview demo').
So we can either a) add detection for only the original, non-rebuilt demos, based on their filesize, b) do messy stuff at the detection stage, or what I prefer: c) forget about it alltogether.
Any other people have input/opinions on if and/or how we should do this?
comment:7 by , 18 years ago
Personally, I think it would be "nice" if we detected the demo(s) as such (to avoid potential confusion); but given that the full version of FOTAQ is freeware now, I think this is an extremly minor point.
So, if you think it'd be too much effort to do it, forget about it.
I just thought it was somethign simple (like, open the file, read in a few bytes, look at them, and determine whether it's a demo); anything more complicated indeed sounds like overkill.
comment:8 by , 18 years ago
Hmm.. thinking about it a bit more.
I guess we could look at filesizes for queen.1 files, and the header for queen.1c files, that should work. That way, we could determine if it's *a* demo when it's rebuilt, and we could be more specific with non-rebuilt files. I'll look into it.
comment:9 by , 18 years ago
This has now been implemented in CVS. 'Flight of the Amazon Queen (Demo)' and 'Flight of the Amazon Queen (Interview)' should now get detected. It doesn't distinguish between the 2 different 'regular' demos, but this is as good as it gets.
comment:10 by , 18 years ago
|Status:||new → closed|
comment:11 by , 5 years ago
|Component:||→ Engine: Queen|
|Game:||→ Flight of the Amazon Queen|
This is because in the SCUMM engine, the Sam&Max demo needs a different target name (and in fact, we have a total of 7 targets for various S&M versions, which is *not* nice); while in the QUEEN engine, one target is used to handle all versions.
It's probably a matter of adapting Engine_QUEEN_detectGames in queen/queen.cpp, to return the "proper" desc string, though.