Opened 12 years ago

Closed 12 years ago

Last modified 12 years ago

#3469 closed defect (fixed)

LURE: wrong accented character in the italian version

Reported by: SF/glorifindel Owned by: dreammaster
Priority: low Component: Engine: Lure
Keywords: Cc:
Game: Lure of the Temptress

Description

Hi, I've noticed that the character "ì" (ALT+236 in Windows) is erroneously replaced with "ä" (ALT+228) in the italian freeware version of Lure (see screenshot for an example)
I'm using the latest SVN version of ScummVM in WinXP.

(BTW, congratulations for your work!)

Ticket imported from: #1841851. Ticket imported from: bugs/3469.

Attachments (3)

scummvm00001.PNG (22.3 KB ) - added by SF/glorifindel 12 years ago.
strings_italian.txt (67.1 KB ) - added by dreammaster 12 years ago.
Extracted strings from Italian version
italian_font.PNG (1.9 KB ) - added by dreammaster 12 years ago.
Image showing the Italian font

Download all attachments as: .zip

Change History (17)

by SF/glorifindel, 12 years ago

Attachment: scummvm00001.PNG added

comment:1 by SF/glorifindel, 12 years ago

Summary: Wrong accented character in the italian version of LureLURE: wrong accented character in the italian version

comment:2 by SF/glorifindel, 12 years ago

It seems to me that also the "ò" character is replaced with "i"

comment:3 by dreammaster, 12 years ago

I checked and the original executable shows it as 'cosa' as well, so it's a problem with the original game data. I'm a bit hesitant to try mucking around with the italian font until and unless you can confirm that in a complete run-through of the game that all occurances of the 'a' should be 'i'. Likewise with the o/i you mention below.

I'm reclassifying this as pending for now.

comment:4 by dreammaster, 12 years ago

Owner: set to dreammaster
Priority: normallow
Status: newpending

comment:5 by sev-, 12 years ago

dreammaster, is there a way to extract all texts from the game data? I think it will be much easier to check that play game in a hope that you will see every message in the game.

comment:6 by dreammaster, 12 years ago

Not easily I'm afraid - firstly, the strings are encoded using a variable length bitstream for characters; even the ASCIIZ at the end is an arbitrary bit sequence, which means that unless you know the specific byte at which a string starts, you aren't likely to find the position otherwise. Secondly, the start of the file consists of an index that even now I don't fully understand - I'm not even sure that all possible String Ids are mappable to a specific string, so I don't think an extract tool would be feasible.

comment:7 by SF/glorifindel, 12 years ago

Status: pendingnew

comment:8 by SF/glorifindel, 12 years ago

Right now I have no time to complete the game, but if you want I will create a list with all the occurance of these glitches when I will finish this game.
An extract tool for the text would have been amazing to correct all the errors/mistakes found in the italian translation, which is not always accurate, what a pity it's so difficult to make.

by dreammaster, 12 years ago

Attachment: strings_italian.txt added

Extracted strings from Italian version

comment:9 by dreammaster, 12 years ago

File Added: strings_italian.txt

by dreammaster, 12 years ago

Attachment: italian_font.PNG added

Image showing the Italian font

comment:10 by dreammaster, 12 years ago

I may be able to help - I've been able to extract the strings using a basic loop.. most indexes turned out to have valid strings. Please note that the game uses it's own font, so the ASCII characters > 128 won't display correctly. But using Word at least, I was able to search for occurances of a given character so, for example, if you search for the 'eh?!' to find the string from the original message, you can make a copy of the accented 'a' character and paste it into the Find dialog to find other occurances. If you're happy that all occurances should be 'i', then I can modify the font data to swap the two characters
File Added: italian_font.PNG

comment:11 by SF/glorifindel, 12 years ago

Wow, congratulations! Now it's lot more easy (btw towards the end of the file there are many errors and strange words/characters, I don't know why)
I've follow your advices, and i use the line 00c2h as example, since it contains all the (possible) wrong accented characters (which i replaced with a number):
00c2h - Chiedo perdono, mio signore. Forse potresti tagliarmi la lingua cos(1) non ti disturber(2) pi(3)?
All the "(1)" character should be ì, (2) = ò, (3) = ù

I've checked the remains 2 possible accented characters, which are correct displayed in the game:
00e7h - La bottiglia (4) vuota. => (4) = è
0098h - Piet(5) Non so niente! => (5) = à

Thanks again, hope this istructions will help you!

comment:12 by dreammaster, 12 years ago

Resolution: fixed
Status: newclosed

comment:13 by dreammaster, 12 years ago

The font for the game is stored in the .vga files, so I've applied a code patch that automatically replaces the appropriate characters in-memory when playing the Italian version

comment:14 by SF/glorifindel, 12 years ago

Thanks, now all the accented character are correct

Note: See TracTickets for help on using tickets.