AGS: In daily 2.8.0 builds many games are unplayable and/or affected by graphical glitches or crashes
|Reported by:||tag2015||Owned by:||fracturehill|
This is an already known issue, I'm opening this bugreport so users are aware of the problem, and to track the status of relevant games.
Daily builds of ScummVM 2.8.0 include optimizations (using processor extensions) for the graphics code in the AGS engine, which increase noticeably the FPS but also introduce various problems.
The games have been tested on Win10 with an i7 processor.
The following games are unplayable. Segfaults occur in drawInner4BppWithConv, unless otherwise noted:
- Strangeland (Steam): Won't even load and crashes silently (gdb reports a heap corruption error)
- Old Skies (Steam Demo): Crashes after the Wadjet Eye logo
- Rock'n'Roll will never die! (Steam): Crashes during the intro, while the two guys are talking
- The Cat Lady (Steam): Crashes in main menu
- The Excavation of Hob's Barrow (GOG): Intro works. Crashes in the first location (station) while talking to the old woman
- Murder Cases (Steam Demo): Main menu works. Crashes during intro
- Downfall (Demo): Crashes when leaving the room
- Nightmare Frames (Steam): Crashes when starting a new game
- Unavowed (GOG): Crashed in main menu or during intro
- 5 Days a Stranger (SE): Crashes during intro
- King's Quest III (AGDI): Crashes during first talk with the wizard
Other games basically work but may occasionally show glitches (typically in the mouse cursor or sprites walkcycles) that may lead to crashes:
- If on a winter's night... (Steam): Loading "flame" may glitch, game may crash with "invalid color depth!"
- Dreams in Witch House: main character sprite glitches
- Heroine's Quest: sprite glitches (es. snowflakes)
- Ben There, Dan That!