Opened 3 months ago
SCUMM: Zak - Pressing Esc at the right time lets you steal anything at Lou's Loans
|Reported by:||dwatteau||Owned by:|
This is with ScummVM 2.6.0git and the FM-Towns version of Zak McKracken sold by GOG.
- Start a new game. Don't pick up the CashCard.
- Go outside, at Lou's Loans in the next avenue (or
- Try buying the golf club. The seller will refuse because you don't have any CashCard.
- Wait for the seller to go back to his stand: quickly press Esc before he puts the object back (but not before he starts walking)…
- In Zak FM-TOWNS: the scene is skipped: the seller has put the golf club back in his stand, but yet you also have it in your inventory, for free! (Oh and so now the golf club also duplicated itself.)
- In Zak V2: déjà-vu effect: the golf club is back in the stand, but the seller repeat the "Can't ya read?" line he's just said. (This also happens with the original DOS interpreter.)
So, there's a small bug in both cases, but you only become a thief in the FM-Towns version.
It looks like script 209 in room 7 is just a bit too naive. I don't think that allowing this cheat was intentional, I'm not even sure that many people knew that this was possible (cheaters and speedrunners could just uncheck the
_enableEnhancements setting if we put a fix for this, anyway :-).