Opened 20 months ago

Last modified 7 months ago

#11367 pending feature request (pending)

WEB: I18N and punctuation improvements

Reported by: IlDucci Owned by: IlDucci
Priority: normal Component: Web
Version: Keywords: web, I18N, internacionalization, translation
Cc: Game:

Description

The following is a list of elements that are either missing a translatable value within the website or that could use some unification in English.

  • Main Screenshot page: "X games", "(X shots)" and "X game (Series)" are untranslatable.
  • Downloads page:
    • This page and some others display a subheader that reads "Downloads for ScummVM version X", in two colors. Is it possible to merge both halves of the line into a single string?
    • The bigger red button for the Windows Installer is completely untranslatable.
    • All the packages names, file size values (for example, French would use octets instead of M/MB), the mirrorlist link and the longer dates for the dailies are untranslatable at this moment.
    • The Extras and Game Downloads subentries are untranslatable.
    • Within the Daily Builds section, the following string is untranslatable: "View the ChangeLog to see the latest updates of ScummVM."
    • All the subentries in the Libraries section are untranslatable.
  • Games page: All subentry links, file size values, mirrorlist link and extra information within these lines are untranslatable.
  • Game Demos page: All the categories and parenthesed content are untranslatable.
  • FAQ/Frequently Asked Questions page: Is it possible to convert the page into Weblate, instead of having separate pages per language?
  • Documentation:
    • The Spanish name for "Inicio Rápido" shouldn't use an uppercased R when the words are separated, following RAE's rules.
    • The Spanish description for the Quick Start guide is taken from the full README text, instead of referring to the Quick Start.
    • Some of the descriptions end with a period, but most of them don't in English (and every other languages in consequence). This should be unified one way or the another.
  • Compatibility page: The full date isn't translatable.
  • Credits page: Everything on this page isn't translatable (Names shouldn't be, but categories, ranks and comments should).
  • Subprojects page: This page might be considered for ignoring the translations, but I'm leaving the comment in case it's not. The subprojects descriptions are untranslatable.
  • Links page: Every link and description is untranslatable.

Attachments (1)

CHANGES.7z (24.4 KB ) - added by IlDucci 20 months ago.
My poor attempt at making new translatable strings

Download all attachments as: .zip

Change History (4)

by IlDucci, 20 months ago

Attachment: CHANGES.7z added

My poor attempt at making new translatable strings

comment:1 by IlDucci, 20 months ago

I've done my best (I'm no web developer) at trying to add some translatable strings.

The changes package adds the following:

  • Replaces the Spanish README links with the proper, Quick Start texts.
  • Makes the Daily Builds section of the Downloads page translatable.
  • WARNING: I've added an unfinished version of the page that should make the Game/Extras Downloads and Libraries sections translatable, but during my tests, the server wasn't capable of finding out the strings in the JSON file. I don't know how to fix this, as I'm no real programmer. DO NOT COPYPASTE THE FILES INTO THE WEB REPO WITHOUT HAVING A GOOD LOOK/TEST. The JSON file still has the strings, but are not working at the moment.
  • Makes the entire Games Downloads section translatable.
  • Makes the "mirrorlist" (Downloads) and "shots" (Screenshots page) texts translatable.
  • Adds a full Spanish translation of the FAQ page.

comment:2 by Mataniko, 7 months ago

Owner: set to IlDucci
Resolution: pending
Status: newpending

Please do this as a PR on https://github.com/scummvm/scummvm-web

comment:3 by IlDucci, 7 months ago

The reason why I did these changes in a zip format instead of a PR in Github is because I do not know a thing about coding. All those changes were easy to target and change, but the website does need more changes in other areas that are out of my knowledge. That's also why I wasn't assigning the issue to myself.

Note: See TracTickets for help on using tickets.