AGI: Per game volume setting changed (saved!) by ScummVM on game start
|Reported by:||raziel-||Owned by:||digitall|
|Cc:||Game:||King's Quest 2|
ScummVM 2.1.0git (Oct 6 2018 10:53:00)
Features compiled in: Vorbis FLAC MP3 RGB zLib MPEG2 Theora AAC FreeType2 JPEG PNG cloud (servers, local)
First of all, sorry if this has been reported to the bug tracker already, for some reason i remember gathering information for this bug a few months back already...i couldn't find any entry though. Might have been the forums...
I found a really strange and annoying behaviour with some AGI (fan) games and Kings Quest II from Sierra.
No other Sierra titles are affected.
I normally use the volume setting in "Options" to globally set the the available volumes for all games.
Sometimes that isn't possible though, because some games use speech, merged together with music, from a big sound file (i.e. Gobliiins CD) and that would be too loud, as i tend to lower the music volume to better understand spoken dialogue.
Lately i found out about some games that nearly blow my speakers because of the volume set to max per game.
I went along and changed them by unchecking the "Override" option...and tried again...to no avail.
There are some games that unknowingly set their own volume (per game) and also write them to the .ini file (which is bad imho).
They also don't respect a users setting by either erasing the per game setting out of the .ini file or unchecking said "Override" setting...the volume setting will be back on restarting the games, which is even worse, because i don't want ScummVM to write a per game setting which i don't like and could possibly harm my hardware (exaggerating).
I have yet to find out what ScummVM uses to set the per game volume to, probably the setting it still has saved somewhere, or the setting that was last used by me, but they are different on every game.
The games in question that suffer this behaviour so far are:
King's Quest II: Romancing the Throne (2.1 1987-04-10/DOS/English)
Enclosure (v1.03) (DOS/English)
(There's a catch with this game as i get the following message in console when playing it: Broken volume in fan game detected, enabling workaround - which doesn't fix the volume problem though)
Space Quest 0: Replicated (v1.04/DOS/English)
Space Quest II: X - The Lost Chapter (v10.0 Jul 18/DOS/English)
The Gourd of the Beans (DOS/English)
URI Quest (v0.173 Feb 27) (DOS/English)
Voodoo Girl - Queen of the Darned (v1.2 2002 Jan 1) (DOS/English)
and probably more, but i haven't installed any more fan games to test for now.
AmigaOS4 - PPC - SDL - BE
gcc (adtools build 8.1.0) 8.1.0